Avion Experimental No. 1
Single-engine 1/2-seat open cockpit twin-boom experimental land monoplane.
Archive Photos ¹
(Northrop) Avion Experimental No. 1 (NX216H) shown in both the “Pusher” and “Tractor” configurations. (Historic photos by Northrop)
The Avion Experimental No. 1 was the original “flying wing”, developed by John K. Northrop for the Avion Corporation, 4515 Alger Street, Los Angeles, California. John Northrop patented the design on 10 May 1929 (#1,929,255). The application for a X license was placed on 5/11/1929 as a 2-place dual-control pilot and passenger ship. The license was issued on 5/31/1929. The aircraft was test-flown at Muroc Dry Lake, California, by Eddie Bellande. The aircraft was transferred on 11/23/1929 to Northrop Aircraft Corporation, United Airport, Burbank, California. The aircraft was re-approved for “X” license on 12/6/1928, with the engine now referred to as a British Cirrus, and publicly introduced on 2/10/1930. The aircraft was first flown as a pusher configuration, then as a tractor configuration. On 9/22/1930, Northrop advised the CAA that flights with the aircraft would be discontinued “pending numerous wind tunnel and laboratory tests.” There is no further record of this aircraft.
Specifications and Performance Data 2
Copyright © 1998-Present, Skytamer Images, Whittier, California
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED