Anderson Greenwood AG-14 (AND-51-A)
Archive Photos ¹
[Anderson Greenwood AND-51-A (N314AG, s/n 3, 1950) on display 8/19/2006 at the Camarillo Air Show, Camarillo, CA (John Shupek photos copyright © 2006 Skytamer Images)]
The Anderson Greenwood AG-14 is a two-seat utility aircraft developed in the United States shortly after World War II. It is an all-metal, shoulder-wing monoplane of pod-and-boom configuration, equipped with a pusher propeller, side-by-side seating and fixed tricycle undercarriage.
Anderson Greenwood's sole aircraft design was actually a collaborative effort of three engineers: Ben Anderson, Marvin Greenwood & Lomis Slaughter Jr. The name of the last member of the design team was not included in the product name as it was thought it would not boost sales.
The prototype first flew in October 1947, but plans to mass-produce the aircraft were interrupted by the Korean War. Eventually, only five more examples were built before Anderson Greenwood abandoned the project in favor of producing aircraft components for other manufacturers.
The aircraft's design placed the wing behind the cabin and allowed easy entry via automobile-like doors on each side of the cabin. The propeller is well protected and provides safety on the ground in comparison to tractor configuration aircraft. The airfoil employed is a NACA 4418 giving high lift and a stable stall characteristics. The flaps are two-position and mechanically operated by a flap handle on the cabin floor between the seats. The engine starter is foot-actuated and the nose-wheel steering is connected to the control wheel.
The AG-14 has very good visibility and one reviewer termed it “amazing”.
The aircraft was certified on 20 September 1950 in the normal category. The certification includes a prohibition on aerobatics and spins. One reviewer termed it as “positively spin resistant.”
Serial numbers 1, 2 and 3 were produced in 1950, while 4 and 5 were built in 1953.
In 1969 one AG-14 aircraft was acquired by Cessna Aircraft Company and taken to Wichita, Kansas for evaluation. Cessna designed and constructed a single prototype aircraft of similar configuration, the Cessna XMC, equipped with a Continental O-200 engine of 100 hp (75 kW), with the goal of a possible Cessna 150 replacement. The Cessna evaluation program ran though 1971 and 1972. While performance was similar to a C-150, the aircraft suffered from high cabin noise levels as well as cooling problems, while not providing any performance advantages over the Cessna 150.
An AG-14 was also used as the basis of the XAZ-1 Marvelette test bed aircraft built by the Mississippi State University in the 1960s.
Operational History ²
In May 2009 the five production aircraft were still on the US registry listed as Anderson Greenwood AND-51-A.
Specifications (AG-14) ³
Weights and Loadings
Copyright © 1998-2020 (Our 22nd Year) Skytamer Images, Whittier, California