Louisiana Master Index Maryland

Maine Aviation Museum Guide
Aviation Museums, City Park Airplane Displays


Auburn-Lewiston Municipal Airport (LEW / KLEW)

The Auburn-Lewiston Municipal Airport has a long history with the Twin Cities. Since its beginning in 1935, many improvements have occurred which have helped to meet changing aviation demands and community needs. While it started out as an airport supporting mainly recreational flying, it soon took on commercial airline service. Although the airlines left in 1989 due to restructuring federal aviation subsidies, it now thrives by serving the varied needs of corporate, charter, cargo, and recreational aviation activities. There are two Lockheed L-1649A "Starliners," N8083H, and N7316C reported here for restoration.

  • Lockheed L-1649A-98 "Starliner" (N7316C)
  • Lockheed L-1649A-98 "Starliner" (N8083H)


Camp Keyes
Agusta, ME 04333

The Maine Army National Guard headquarters is located at Camp Keyes in Augusta, as is the Maine Military Historical Museum. Named for General Erasmus Darwin Keyes, a notable Civil War Union Army Corps Commander, Camp Keyes has been an integral part of Maine's rich military heritage since the 1860's and before. Camp Keyes, up to WWII, was also unofficially known to local central Maine residents as “the Muster Ground”.

There are many accounts of bivouacking and training at Camp Keyes in the published histories of Maine's Civil War Regiments. Later, returning soldiers, who were ill, may have been hospitalized here. Additionally, North's History of Augusta, also discusses the fact that Civil War bound units traditionally stayed at Camp Keyes before or after receiving their “Colors” from the Governor at the State House.

The Second Maine Infantry Regiment (later redesignated the 103rd Infantry) was called into active military service of the United States on several occasions from Camp Keyes. In 1898 the entire Maine National Guard was mobilized but only volunteers were taken. In June 1916 the organization was mobilized for duty on the Mexican Border, then in April 1917, for World War I.

In the years between WWI and WWII, Camp Keyes became the principal annual encampment site for the Guard’s 103rd Infantry and the 152nd Field Artillery Regiments. In 1941, the Adjutant General's Department, an element of State Government, was permanently established at Camp Keyes where the Headquarters for Maine's military forces has remained. A core of full time state and a few federal employees managed federal and state resources allocated to the Guard from Camp Keyes.

During World War II, a small number of Italian and German prisoners were housed temporarily at Camp Keyes on their way to work harvesting Maine's forests. There was also a U. S. Army military police battalion stationed here prior to deploying to the European Theater. Additionally, the Maine State Guard operated from Camp Keyes. They took over as the Governor's response force for Maine's natural disaster assistance and civil disturbances in the absence of the mobilized National Guard for World War II.

After World War II, Camp Keyes continued to be the command and control hub for the Army and Air National Guard and their respective Active Component Advisor Staffs. The daily business of administering, supplying, paying the Guard people and maintaining Guard equipment is directed or happens here. This included selected mobilizations for the Korean Conflict and Operation Desert Shield and Storm.

For the past seven years, a Bell UH-1 "Huey" helicopter stood guard over the front gate of Camp Keyes. On October 31, 2006, the helicopter was removed from its mount and taken to Connecticut, where it will be repainted and refurbished for redisplay early in 2007. The Huey's restoration will be in the colors and livery of Maine's 112th Medical Co. The display of the "Huey" is associated with the nearby Maine Historical Society Museum.

  • Bell UH-1 "Huey"


Cole Land Transportation Museum
405 Perry Road
Bangor, Maine 04401
Telephone: (207) 990-3600
Fax: (207) 990-2653

The purpose of the Cole Land Transportation Museum is to collect, preserve, and display a cross section of Maine's land transportation equipment from which this and future generations will gain knowledge of the past. They also wish to remember, record and display U.S. military memorabilia to forever remind this and future generations of the high price our comrades have paid to protect our freedom. In doing so, they hope to inspire and challenge the young people of today to continue on in the footsteps of pioneers who have built Maine and our country. It has been reported that the Museum has a "Huey" on display.

  • Bell UH-1 Huey (need serial number)


Maine Air Museum
Maine Aviation Historical Society
PO Box 2641
Bangor, Maine 04402
Phone: (207) 941-6757

The Maine Aviation Historical Society's goal is to save Maine's historic aviation history, aircraft, photographs, memorabilia, and to preserve those living pioneers and their stories for generations to know and enjoy. In order to preserve this rapidly growing collection, the Society is currently constructing the Maine Air Museum at the Bangor International Airport.

  • Link Trainer
  • J-57 Jet Engine
  • Aircraft models
  • Aircraft artifacts


Maine Air National Guard - BIA
Bangor International Airport
Bangor, Maine 04401-3099

The Maine Air National Guard-BIA (MEANG) property is located in the northwest quadrant of the Bangor International Airport (BIA) in Bangor, Penobscot County, Maine. The 314-acre property is owned by the City of Bangor and used by the Maine Air National Guard (ANG) as an aircraft fueling and maintenance facility. The MEANG property is bordered by Union Street (Route 222) to the north and northwest, by the BIA to the south and east, and by taxiway M to the west. Land use surrounding the MEANG property is both residential and commercial. The MEANG property is occupied by an ANG base comprising 47 buildings used for base operations, a “light duty ramp” used for aircraft maintenance. The base is the home of the 101st Air Refueling Wing [101st ARW].

The federal mission of the 101st Air Refueling Wing is to support the Air Force mission and to train personnel for wartime operations. The wing provides air refueling and airlift under Air Mobility Command. Since 1994, the 101st has operated the Northeast Tanker Task Force together with Pease AFB.

From June 7, 1999 to July 1, 1999 the wing was called to active duty and deployed some aircraft and personnel to Incirlick AB Turkey in conjunction with the 108th Air Refueling Wing [ANG] from NJ to support Operations Northern Watch and Allied Force. The wing currently flies the Boeing KC-135R "Stratotanker."

  • Bell UH-1 Huey on a pole
  • Boeing KC-135R "Stratotankers" (active)
  • McDonnell CF-101B "Voodoo"
  • Northrop F-89J Scorpion (#52-1856, moved from Waterfield)


Naval Air Station Brunswick
1251 Orion Street
Brunswick, Maine 04011 Phone: (207) 921-2000

Naval Air Station Brunswick is the last, active-duty Department of Defense airfield remaining in the northeast, and is home to five active duty and two reserve squadrons. Flying Lockheed P-3 "Orion" long-range maritime patrol aircraft tasked by Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing Five, active duty squadrons regularly deploy overseas for six months at a time. NAS Brunswick has 29 tenant commands, including a Reserve P-3 squadron and a Reserve Fleet Logistics Support Squadron flying C-130 "Hercules" transports. In addition, over 1,600 Naval Reservists travel from throughout New England to drill at Naval Air Reserve Brunswick, Seabee Battalion and numerous other reserve commands.

  • Lockheed P-3 Orion (active)
  • Lockheed P2V-7 "Neptune" (near the Main Gate, in VP-21 markings)

Mars Hill

Static Display

Mars Hill is a town in Aroostook County. The latitude of Mars Hill is 46.515N. The longitude is -67.866W. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 604 feet. The population, at the time of the 2000 census, was 1,480. Mars Hill is on the Canada border. The AGM-28B is reported to be located in the Mars Hill Town Park.

  • North American AGM-28B Hound Dog #61-2213

Owls Head

Owls Head Transportation Museum
Knox County Airport
PO Box 277
Owls Head, Maine 04854
Phone: (207) 594-4418
FAX: (207) 594-4410

The Owls Head Transportation Museum has one of the finest collections of pioneer-era aircraft and automobiles in the world. More than 100 historic aircraft, automobiles, bicycles, carriages and engines are on permanent display. The Aircraft Collection contains replicas and originals representing the first century of flight, from Cayley's unmanned glider (1804) to the legendary Curtiss Jenny of the barnstorming era. An outstanding collection of automobiles spans the late 19th Century and early 20th century, and includes the 1963 Prototype Mustang and a 1935 Stout Scarab (called the world’s first mini-van, one of only six ever made).

  • 1909 Antoinette (representation)
  • 1911 Bellanca (representation)
  • 1909 Blériot XI (representation)
  • 1911 Burgess-Wright F (representation)
  • 1804 Cayley Glider (full-size representation)
  • 1896 Chanute Glider (half-size model)
  • 1900 Clark Biwing Ornithopter (original)
  • 1917 Curtiss JN-4D Jenny (original)
  • 1912 Curtiss Model D (representation)
  • 1913 Deperdussin Gordon Bennett Racer (representation)
  • 1930 Domenjoz Glider (original)
  • 1913 Etrich Taube (representation)
  • 1923 Fokker C.IVa (restoration)
  • 1917 Fokker Dr.I Triplane (representation)
  • 1910 Henri Farman III Biplane (representation)
  • 1893 Lilienthal Glider (half-size model)
  • 1933 Milliken M-1 Special (original)
  • 1917 Nieuport 29C.1 (representation)
  • 1871 Penaud Planaphore (full size-representation)
  • 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (original)
  • 1916 Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.8 (representation)
  • 1917 Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a (representation)
  • 1916 Sopwith Pup (representation)
  • 1917 SPAD XIIIc.I (representation)
  • 1918 Standard J-1 (original)
  • 1941 Stearman A75N/1 Biplane (original)
  • 1931 Waco UBF-2 Biplane (modified original)
  • 1903 Wright Flyer (replica)

Presque Isle

Veterans Memorial Park
Presque Isle, ME 04769

Presque Isle is a city in Aroostook County. The community name derives from French for "peninsula" The latitude of Presque Isle is 46.681N. The longitude is -68.016W. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 453 feet. The estimated population, in 2003, was 9,449. A North American AGM-28 "Hound Dog" is reported to be at the Veterans Memorial Park.

The exact location and a photo of the missile, or the park setting would be appreciated.

  • North American AGM-28 Hound Dog

Copyright © 1998-2018 (Our 20th Year) Skytamer Images, Whittier, California