Bellanca CH-400 "Skyrocket"
1928 Bellanca CH-400 "Skyrocket" (NX237) at the Virginia Aviation Museum, Sandston, VA
The Bellanca CH-400 Skyrocket was a six-seat utility aircraft built in the United States in the 1930s, a continuation of the design lineage that had started with the Bellanca WB-2. Retaining the same basic airframe of the preceding CH-200 and CH-300, the CH-400 was fitted with a more powerful Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial engine. Three examples were purchased by the US Navy under the designation RE. Two were used for radio research, and one as an air ambulance for the US Marine Corps. This latter aircraft was reconfigured to carry two stretchers. The aircraft was also available in a de Luxe version with a more powerful Wasp variant providing 450-hp (336 kW) and detail enhancements.