Click on Flags to Navigate
Alameda Naval Air Station (former base)
Alameda Point, Bldg. 77
Alameda, CA 94501
View Map Location of A-7E
View Map Location of A-4B
Alameda Naval Air Station (former base) NAS Alameda closed April 25, 1997, and the NADEP closed September 30, 1996. Until 1997, Alameda Point was known as Naval Air Station (NAS) Alameda. It was a federal facility, with approximately 60 military tenant commands for a combined military/civilian work force of over 18,000 personnel. In 1997 the base closed, and the Navy began turning the property over to the City of Alameda.
Four carriers were tied up at NAS Alameda in November 1945 as a part of Operation Magic Carpet -- SARATOGA (CV-3), ENTERPRISE (CV-6), HORNET (CV-12) and SAN JACINTO (CVL-30). The Navy has donated the HORNET to the Aircraft Carrier HORNET Foundation for use as a museum. She is currently moored at ex-NAS Alameda (now Alameda Point) pier 3, and is open to the public for tours.
The NAS at Alameda contained 2,479 acres of property owned by the U.S. Navy: 1,521 acres upland, and 958 acres of submerged tideland in San Francisco Bay. In addition, 155 acres are leased from the City of Alameda. Naval Air Station Alameda provided support services to Naval aviation facilities. Berthing space at two piers accommodated aircraft carriers, and ship maintenance was also accomplished at Alameda. The Naval Air Rework Facility Alameda allowed for repair and revamping of Navy jet and turboprop aircraft.
The airfield has two crossed US-equipped runways: one 8,000 feet in length, 200 feet in width; the other 7,200 feet long, 200 feet wide. Two helicopter landing areas are provided. The airfield' at Alameda NAS includes 469,700 square yards of aircraft parking apron and seven aircraft maintenance hangars. There is an air traffic control tower on site.
There are two "Gate Guard" display aircraft located on the site. A Douglas A-4B "Skyhawk" and a LTV A-7E "Corsair II." Both aircraft are mounted on display pedestals.